Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Bitterness, envy, frustration, hand-wringing, shouts of "unfu&%ingbelievable."

Yes, that's me sometimes. Not often, but sometimes.

There are certain things that touch it off. There is one in particular that gets me and turns my inner Buddha into my inner Son of Sam. I'll tell you what it is.

It's constantly seeing people get rich for having strange, bad, awful, weird and unexpected things happen to them. Hell, people are getting rich for just being NEAR or related to people who have strange, bad, awful, weird unexpected things happen to them.

You know what I'm talking about. The woman who finds a turd in her burger and gets $500,000 from Mickey D's. The guy lucky enough to have Russell Crowe throw a phone at him, the moron who stood next to the guy who stood next to the guy who took a bullet for Reagan who gets a book deal or just being Paris Hilton.

Well, its happened again. I am full of bitterness, envy, hand-wringing and shouts of "un-fuckingbelievable" Why? Do you remember Jessica Mclure? She was the poor little 18 month old girl who in October, 1987 fell in a well. The "GIRL IN A WELL" story that every newspaper, TV network, and radio station in the entire world (EVEN PRAVDA FOR GOD'S SAKE) covered for 2 1/2 days straight.

Well, she is in the news today. This is the 20th anniversary of her rescue.

THE BIG NEWS IS: It also seems that while all the world was following her story of struggle in the well they were also sending money and gifts to her and her quite poor parents (for a better "girl in well" retrieval unit?)

Well, Jessica is now 21 years old, she has a husband and baby of her own and...

IN 3 1/2 YEARS A TRUST FROM THOSE DONATIONS WILL MATURE AND SHE WILL HAVE $1 MILLION DOLLARS.

Do you hear me? FOR FALLING IN A FUCKING WELL.

Years of study, all my degrees, all my self taught talents, all the years of working my way up the ladder, starting my own company, working until my eyes bleed and...I'm still not a millionaire. But had I fallen in a well...

Bitterness, envy, frustration, hand-wringing, shouts of "un-fu&%ingbelievable"

Or, I could just count my blessings and be thankful for what I have because according to the story in today's Associated Press -

"Life didn't turn out as smoothly for others involved in the toddler's rescue. In 1995, paramedic and rescuer Robert O'Donnell, who wriggled into the passageway and slathered a frightened Jessica in petroleum jelly before sliding her out into the bright television lights, shot and killed himself at his parents' ranch outside Midland."

"His brother, Rick, has said O'Donnell's life "fell apart" because of the stress of the rescue, the attention it created and the anticlimactic return to everyday life."

Labels: