Friday, May 25, 2007

I was 9 years old in May 1977.

Music was just starting to become very important to me. I loved the music of the 50s and 60s and the Beatles were everything to me. And I was just starting to hear some new sounds coming out of England, something called punk. And who could avoid the Saturday Night Fever Sountrack.

On TV I loved Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island and had even been allowed by my babysitter to stay up late when my parents were out to see, Saturday Night Live.

I read a lot, much more than your average 9 year old. Just about anything I could get my hands on.

I loved movies. Saturday Night Fever, Close Encounter of the Third Kind and The Spy Who Loved Me all debuted that year.

Sports were my obsession. I played them, I watched them, I loved them. The Yankees and Reggie Jackson won the World Series.

IT was the Son of Sam summer, THE CLASH debuted their first record. There was a major blackout in New York.

And then it happened. A week after my birthday on Memorial Day weekend 1977. In many ways my life would never be the same again. Heroism, rebellion, youthful energy, good, evil, exotic creatures, exotic locales, space travel...and that music, that amazing, stirring, heroic music and that opening, that fairy tale opening. Its hard to believe its been 30 years. Click on it. Go ahead and see if, like me, your hair still stands on end, even 30 years later.

Labels: