Monday, March 19, 2007

Two mandolins, one tin whistle, some guitar, some bass, some drums, and accordion, Irish poetry, literary allusions, rebellion, punk and Irish traditional music. A natural born poet and drunk singing, from a wheelchair.
The Pogues at the Roseland Ballroom.
'Twas how I spent my St. Patrick's Day. Shane and the boys were in top form

Reminds me that the latest classic rock or punk rock song (hot on the heels of The Buzzcocks turn) is Toyota using The Pogue's "Sunnyside of the Street". An amiable, toe-tapping upbeat song with Irish flavor, it is indeed a tale of a man on the road. What Mittel-America probably doesn't know are the lyrics to the entire song.

Seen the carnival at Rome, had the women I had the booze
All I can remember now is little kids without no shoes
So I saw that train
And I got on it
With a heartful of hate and a lust for vomit
Now Im walking on the sunnyside of the street

Stepped over bodies in bombay
Tried to make it to the u.s.a.
Ended up in nepal
Up on the roof with nothing at all
And I knew that day I was going to stay right where I am, on the sunnyside of the street
Been in a palace, been in a jail
I just don't want to be reborn a snail
Just want to spend eternity
Right where I am, on the sunnyside of the street

As my mother wept it was then I swore
To take my life as I would a whore
I know I'm better than before
I will not be reconstructed
Just wanna stay right here
On the sunnyside of the street