Wednesday, August 09, 2006



Okay, so Beth at Presidential Details tagged me with this MEME.

1: One book that changed your life:

Cry the Beloved Country - Alan Paton

It opened my eyes for the first time to the greater world around me. It taught me that there is great suffering in the world and that it is incumbent upon each of us to try and relieve that suffering. It also set me on the path of a lifelong involvement in working for human rights. It also led to my direct involvement in the anti-apartheid movement of the 1980s which culminated with me sharing a stage with Nobel Peace Prize winner Archbishop Desmond Tutu in 1986 and the ultimate end of Apartheid.

2: One book you have read more than once:

David Copperfield. Dickens' masterpiece and most autobiographical book is a true coming of age story.

3: One book you would want on a desert island:

The complete works of Charles Dickens

4: One book that made you laugh:

Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins.

5: One book you wish had been written:

The instruction manual for life, given to me at birth.

6: One book you wish had never had been written:

Mein Kampf

7: One book that made you cry:

Anna Karenina

8: One book you are currently reading:

Terrorist by John Updike

9: One book you have been meaning to read:

Lonely Planet Guide to Spain (for my upcoming trip)