Friday, June 02, 2006

My father came back from his doctor's appointment yesterday with confirmation that he has prostate cancer.

It is VERY early, it is limited to two quadrants of 12 possible and the doctor is optimistic. He will undergo further tests to be sure it is only in the prostate. From there a choice will be made on how to treat it.

He is stoic, says he is not worried and that he will be fine. At a time when the reality of my parents' mortality has been on my mind (he is 64 and my mom is 63) I am not sure I am handling this news as well as he is. Eleven years ago he was successfully treated for Bladder cancer.

I have to start thinking about what this means for my future health as well.

I will love and support him and do anything I can to help him and my mom work through this.