Monday, September 05, 2005

Random thoughts on Labor Day 2005.

A few days before before Katrina hit I started reading "A Confederacy of Dunces" which takes place in New Orleans. I had to put it down on Tuesday. I just couldn't read it anymore.

I picked up David McCullough's OUTSTANDING "1776" instead and finished it already. Next up a book called "China Inc."

Rarely have I ever felt so much shame in being and American. There is something so bad, so wrong and so evil pervading this land now. I can smell it, feel it, see it, taste it. I was asked by a Canadian friend of mine this week "where is the savior in America, who will step up to lead again?" Sadly I don't know.

But I do know that people are reaping what they have sown here. They wanted Bush, and big tax cuts and smaller government (except in military matters) and they got the gutting of FEMA and the national disgrace of this past week.

I haven't seen a movie in a long.

I need to do some serious work on my gratitude and spiritual center. I lost my way a bit this summer.

I can't believe that Sunday will mark fours years that I watched from the roof of my building as the Towers fell. That the smoke and smell of death floated in my apartment window as I tried to sleep that night.