Wednesday, September 28, 2005

-Manna From Across the World -

We have all heard the tired cliches of Chaos Theory (a butterfly flapping its wings in Japan creates high winds in America) and 6 degrees of separation (none of us are separated from any other person on earth by more than 6 people.

But, as is sometimes the case, cliches, observations, theories and maxims are based on real truths.

This is one such tale. Last year I played in a Fantasy Football league run by a friend who lives in China. During most of the season I was in the middle of the pack and was flirting with not even making the playoffs. Then, with four weeks to go, my team got hot, I made the playoffs and ended up winning the league championship.

At the time of the playoffs my friend announced that the winner of the league would receive 100 Yuan (Chinese Money). A token gesture of accomplishment. We it turned out that I won, I told him that I wanted my winning donated to someone needy in China.

Well, I nearly forgot all about it until this season started and the league got started. Its amazing how we really ARE all connected and how seemingly random events, no matter how great or small, kind or mean, affect everyone else on earth. Here is the story my friend shared with the league and which I now share with you.

From the country to Beijing