Tuesday, August 02, 2005













Fame, (fame) makes a man take things over
Fame, (fame) lets him loose, hard to swallow
Fame, (fame) puts you there where things are hollow
Fame (fame)

-David Bowie, FAME

I am always amazed at the drawing power fame has on people. I think that fame, even more than power, money and sometimes sex appeal, has the strongest draw on people. The average person (myself included) is drawn to fame and notoriety in people. I don't think anyone is immune from it, I just think we all react to it on varying levels, say on a 1-10 scale.

I am fascinated by the people on the 8-9-10 end of the scale. The obsessives, stalkers, and the desperate. In particular I heard something this morning that really makes me wonder about how powerful a draw it can be.

It turns out Scott Peterson, who was convicted of killing his wife and unborn child has a new girlfriend, even though he is in prison. Also, the Menendez brothers, who killed their parents by shotgunning them in bed and are serving life terms are both married. MARRIED.

And there are millions of lonely hearts around the country who can't even find a boyfriend or girlfriend. Murderers in jail do though.

Is it the draw of fame and the feeling of validation that being in the sphere of someone famous that does it? I am on the 2-3 end of the scale, I am interested in and find it interesting to be around some famous figures (and judging by my poll two weeks ago where I asked people who were the most amazing people they had met - most of whom were famous, many others do) but at what point does someone think marrying a convicted murderer serving life is a good idea?

Perhaps its not fame at all, as I know regular prisoners get into these kinds of relationships as well, maybe then that is the real question, why get involved with a prisoner.