Monday, June 13, 2005

GOING ONCE, GOING TWICE, SOLD TO THE BOOK NERD IN THE THIRD ROW!!!!

On Saturday I attended an auction here in Manhattan. I won three things, one a $3,000 couch I got for $275. The other two I bought investments for resale.

The first was a set of 4 Murano Venetian glass objects, got them for $80 and they are worth about $225 on resale.

But the BIG win was a shelf lot of books. I managed to get a quick peek at this particular lot before the auction. I recognized some of the early-mid 19th century bindings and decided I would bid when it came up.

The bidding started at $10, then up to $40, $50, $90, $150, before I won it for $175.

I practically ran home with the box and tore into it as soon as I flew in the door. There were 21 books in the collection, all of them 19th century.

So far I have looked up 3 of the sets. And found some amazing stuff.

-A HISTORY OF SCOTLAND IN 4 VOLUMES - 1827 - Worth $350

-The works of John Milton in 4 volumes - 1821 - Worth $700

-"The Lady of the Manor" in 7 volumes - 1829 - Worth $200

I still have 4 more sets to look up. They are all so beautiful I am tempted to keep them, but I am selling to pay for...

THE CAPPER, THE KILLER, THE CREAM INDUCING MOMENT OF MY WEEKEND. The arrival of my 1850 FIRST EDITION DAVID COPPERFIELD by CHARLES DICKENS.

I won it on an online auction in England. It is now the crown jewel of my collection!!!