Thursday, May 05, 2005

NYC

I'm back. I'm exhausted, mentally and physically battered. I'm not sure whether I left the place I belong or arrived at the place I belong. All these Western faces are freaking me out. The familiar sirens of the NY ambulance corps, the shadow of the Chrysler building on my window, Howard Stern on the radio.

My head is swimming with the almost inconceivable amount of things I saw, heard, felt, ate and experienced over the last month.

China is everywhere. The newspaper I got on the plane had 4 China stories. The Newsweek magazine I picked up had a cover story "The China Century?" and when I got in a Chinese film, "Beijing Bicycle" was on my TV.

Its seems that for the second time in my life (the first was being involved in the Internet boom from the beginning) I am involved with the cultural and business story of a decade.

My last day in Hong Kong was relaxed but I moved as if in a half dream state. Some antique shopping, a massage a great dinner on top of Victoria Peak where we saw a fireworks show launched from the rooftops of the city's highest buildings that lit up the harbor in brilliant blues, greens, yellows and reds.

Now I am back in my little NY palace faced with the challenge of digesting and making sense of everything I just experienced.

I missed you all and I am really thankful for the comments while I was gone. They made some long nights a little shorter for me.