Thursday, February 03, 2005

"She could turn me gay"

My posts about Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek and Catherine Zeta Jones prompted some reactions from women who claim that "they/she could turn me gay". I have always been interested in how acceptable it is for a woman to experiment with other women, be bisexual, or to just exclaim that "that woman is hot" "could tune me gay" or "turns me on" with no real consequence.

Yet, it is almost unheard of for men to exclaim ANY of these things about another man without instantly being branded gay. Now, I can recognize a handsome man when I see one and have no issues with saying "hey that's a handsome man." But, I have never seen a man that made me think to myself, "Wow, now that guy could make me crave dick." So, for me saying something like that is not only a question of acceptable statement, but no matter how hot a guy is, I just have no desire to have man on man sex.

A good number of my friends are gay and we talk about sexual issues of all kinds, straight and gay, and with these men, a similar things occurs. They never look at a woman and say, "Wow, she could turn me straight." So it seems to be a man/woman thing not a straight or gay thing.

What accounts for all this? I wonder what Mr. Underhill thinks?