Thursday, February 17, 2005

"Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, free at last."

So, after being a victim of Bloggers new computer code (which rendered my blog unusable for a week) I am back. Thank you to everyone who wrote me on my email. It was a great consolation to be able to stay in touch that way, and in a lot of ways to get to know some of you better.

I have a lot that I have been thinking about over the last week.

So without further adieu.

Things I think I think - The back from exile edition.

-I think I think that the amount of misplaced energies people put toward negative and unproductive thoughts and activities could fuel the sun for a 1,000 years. Here we have an example of this and it comes wrapped in the further enigma of art imitating life imitating art imitating humanity imitating sanity.

From last weeks Onion (the brilliant satirical newspaper).

LATEST BIN-LADEN VIDEOTAPE WISHES AMERICA "A CRAPPY VALENTINES DAY"

WASHINGTON, DC—A new videotape of Osama bin Laden broadcast on the Arab satellite news channel Al-Jazeera Monday beseeched Allah to grant all Americans a "crappy Valentine's Day."
"This Feb. 14th on the Western infidels' calendar, may all Americans receive no valentines from their beloved ones," bin Laden said. "May the homemade construction-paper mailboxes taped to the desks of the American schoolchildren remain empty, as well. May whomever you ask to 'bee yours' tell you to 'buzz off.'"

Then 5 days later, this report from the BBC.

Hard-liner Muslims and Hindus assault Valentines Day
BBC 2/15/03

Conservative forces in the Middle East and South Asia have cracked down on shops marketing Valentine's Day. In the Indian capital, Delhi, several people were reported injured when stores selling romantic cards and gifts were attacked by right-wing militants.

Police in Iran, meanwhile, are reported to have closed several shops in Tehran, while religious groups in Pakistan have held protests against the 14 February celebration.

Religious hardliners consider such Western occasions as decadent and an insult to Hinduism and Islam.

Here is a perfect example of why only practicing complete acceptance can lead one to serenity. These people are not happy, not serene, not peaceful, nor would I be if I let the million daily examples of non acceptance bother me.

-I think I think that one of the funniest things I ever heard (and I know I probably shouldn't think its funny) I heard last night. While volunteering at a local shelter that services addicts, the homeless, the hungry and those in need, a gentleman I was counseling said this to me. "I lost my job while I was in rehab and I had to go yesterday and collect my special effects." I just imagined him collecting his lasers, animatronic dinosaurs, fake blood, Golum suit and the rest of his special effects in a box and trudfing home.

-I think I think that the last few years have really shed light on how "out of touch" I am with mainstream America. The latest example is the canceling of the Hockey Season. I have played and watched hockey my whole life, I am a die hard New Jersey Devils fan and apparently I am one of 8 people who care that there is no hockey this year.