Inspired by the lovely Ms. Arethusa.
Music has been a central part of my life since I was 8 years old. My parent's were big music lovers and our family, household and extended family was/is multinational, so I grew up listening to music from around the world. Brasilian, American 50s and 60s rock and pop, Sinatra, Italian, Irish. Without being too longwinded about it, music has been very important to me.
Not just as entertainment, but as the art form that speaks to the very deepest part of my soul. The art form I expressed myself through. Music as the integral part of human life and history. It gave me my first social and political consciousness, my soundtrack, it has been and is a part of every important rite of passage and ritual in my life and is the poetry I revel in. Here are 25 songs from the rock/reggae category that reach me at the deepest levels. I would need separate lists for blues, jazz, classical and world. Keeping it to one song from each artists was absolutely brutal.
1. Zombie - The Cranberries
2. Perfect Day - Lou Reed
3. Bad - U2
4. Celluloid Heroes - The Kinks
5. And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda - The Pogues
6. Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
7. Bertha - The Grateful Dead
8. White Man in Hammersmith Palais - The Clash
9. Redemption Song - Bob Marley and the Wailers
10. This is the Modern World - The Jam
11. She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult
12. Talk About the Passion - R.E.M.
13. Baba O'Reilly - The Who
14. Sympathy for the Devil - The Rolling Stones
15. 100 Years - Blues Traveler
16. Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
17. God Save the Queen - The Sex Pistols
18. 5446 That's My Number - Toots and the Maytals
19. Alive - Pearl Jam
20. Lithium - Nirvana
21. I alone - Live
22. What I Got - Sublime
23. Dear Mr. Fantasy - Traffic
24. Heroes - David Bowie
25. Wish you Were Here - Pink Floyd
-bonus track 1 Spirit of the Radio - Rush
-bonus track 2 Celebrity Skin - Hole
-bonus track 3 Bittersweet - hoodoo Gurus
-bonus track 4 Germ Free Adolescents - X Ray Specs
-bonus track 5 Fields of Gold - Sting