Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Fame, makes a man take things over, Fame, lets him loose, hard to swallow, Fame, puts you there where things are hollow, Fame - David Bowie "Fame"

My childhood friend got his 15 minutes of fame. My friend Dave Jay and I have known each other since we were in 1st grade.

He had always been involved in music, theater and performance (he did some GREAT impressions). We are in our 30s now. After university, for years and years , Dave Jay wrote songs, played open mics, made demo discs, and insisted that he was "born famous only no one knew it yet."

Many were the nights I went to his performances all over New York City. I Wrote press materials for him, listened to acoustic versions of his latest songs, cheered and encouraged him as best I could.

But alas, it seemed him musical career would never be enough to let him quit his day job.

Oh but how right Andy Warhol was. Dave Jay got his 15 minutes of fame after all.

The ABC TV daytime talk show "The View" held a song contest for their show. Hundreds of performers sent in tapes and Dave Jay was picked as a finalist.

http://abc.go.com/daytime/theview/originalsongcontest.html

He performed his song on the show (as did all the other finalists) and the audience phoned in or voted on the web to pick a winner. Well, he won.

He got to go back on the show and perform the song for the nation and the ladies of The View.

I just want to say to Dave-Jay, congratulations it was an amazing performance and I was cheering you on. Classic J'Blammo Pop. I don't know what will come of all this, but if nothing else does, you were right, you were born famous, the world just didn't know it yet.